Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tales of 3-5-8

These are words inspired as I rode my bus (358) home from work.  I have had the desire to write a poem about my bus experiences for awhile now and I finally have.

Tales of 3-5-8

Greetings from a driver
Though sometimes I feel invisible
Pungent smells assault me
Old and young together
Immigrants, natives, and transplants like me
On and off all day
Eye contact often averted
Personal space no longer my own
Subjected to conversations I'd rather not hear
People fighting, people laughing
Some on their way to a party
Others just riding to survive
Teenagers with no money, loud and unaware
Old women in wheelchairs
Young mothers, exhaustion in their eyes
Hopelessness, heartache, and sorrows
Smiles, joy, and adventure
All ride together
No restrictions, no expectations
Just people going about their lives
Getting from here to there
Who are you?
Where are you going?
We all ride together, yet we all ride alone

1 comment:

  1. this is brilliant. it's haunting and eerie yet truthful and vivid!
    you have described the 358, and many other bus experiences, very well! SOOOO glad you finally wrote this poem.

    ReplyDelete